Monday, May 14, 2012

To my Friends and... Fans(?)



Everyone:

Building a business is a mixture of many emotions: excitement, nervousness, frustration and passion.  There is paperwork, contracts, money issues, apointments, meetings (you get the picture).  When you own your own business you work as your own boss.  If you keep yourself in the public eye, you become more recognized for your talents and you climb that hill towards Nirvana.  But... if you slack, you end up having a nervous breakdown in your bathtub, shaving your head at a local barbershop and attacking the paparazzi with an umbrella.  (Sorry Brit... it was just a good example).

Starting is the hardest part because you really don't know what to do.  Over the past year I have painted and photographed volunteers, dancers, animals, the world around me & coworkers (which just so happen to be two of my best friends).  It's like being a singer - it doesn't matter if YOU know you can sing, you have to show everyone else that you can sing.  I had to show, and still have to show, everyone that I'm striving to be something better than an amatuer.  God bless the amateurs because yin & yang.  There has to be a balance.

I want to thank everyone who has been a part of this journey so far.  The last year has definitely had ups and downs, twists and turns, but if I'm creating, I'm happy.

To my friends & family:
Bless your hearts.  You have given me the opportunity to turn you into living canvasses.  Some of you enjoy it more than others but what matters to me is that you were willing to let me embark on something new.  No matter where I go, how big or small my business becomes, you are the ones who were there from the beginning and allowed me to create and grow.  You're dear to me and I'll repay you someday - I promise.




To my fans/"like"-ers on Facebook:
I don't expect everybody to love my work.  Some things I do are conventional but I love the non-conventional.  My makeup and art is a far cry from Olan Mills and some of my more conservative friends might find it outside their realm of "like".  That's ok!  But thank you to everyone who has liked my work because your "like" is an advertisement for me.  I have people all over the US who have taken the time to tell me they appreciate what I've done so far and that's pretty incredible.  I'd tell them personally but some of them don't speak English.  At least art and math are universal, right?  (And thank God for art being in that category because I still add on my fingers.  I grew up in a trailer, I'm doing my best here.)

So thank you all.  Here's to the future - yours and mine.  May we all find our way, our destination, and enjoy the journey towards it. 

<3  Ricky Barnes
Ricky Barnes Designs






1 comments:

IfIOnlyHadAName said...

Just think, it all started with my GIANT bangs, an old school camera and your Dads waterbed mirror...we should have know then, that photography would be where you ended up. :0)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hosted Desktops