Monday, March 26, 2012

A Day at Dior



When you're a freelancer, you have the option to work when you want to work.  But...  keep in mind, that is the biggest doubled-edged sword in the world of business.  YOU are your boss and nobody is around to keep you on track or make sure you're being as productive as possible.  It is a lot like studying online - it seems easier at first but, in the end, draws a lot upon your own abilities to stay on task and follow a schedule.

Last week I worked a day for Dior at Macy's Dayton Mall.  As a former counter manager I can tell you one thing - freelancing is a whole different ball game.  You want to be able to help the counter manager meet their goals but at the same time you get to enjoy being an artist.  The bottom line isn't as important as creativity or the interactions with women (and sometimes men) of different social and economic calibers. 

My day started at 11 and ran until 715.  It was a Friday during one of Dior's Workshops and, if I remember correctly, not a single booked appointment showed.  Nature of the beast...  at least 40% of your appointment will never show, even if they confirmed.  So our day consisted of walking through the store, offering our services to random shoppers, and painting faces for 8 hours.

I was able to meet 5 interesting ladies, chat with old coworkers, and run into old friends.  In a nutshell I got paid to chat, laugh, teach some of my favorite tricks, play with some of my old favorite products, try out some new ones, and help women feel beautiful.

I want to thank all my customers who sat in my chair and were willing to submit a photo.  It was a great day for me, and a much needed artistic release opportunity.  Hopefully next week when I'm at the Dior in Tuttle (Columbus, OH) I will have similiar success and and equally great time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hosted Desktops